Betsy Co-ed?

What a week in Wales!

On Satdy we packed up the Zafira in the morning.  Then unpacked it as there wasn’t enough space and repacked everything in the Roomster (plus a roofbox).  And then we’re off.  A 3 hour trip to the campsite.

3 hours later we arrived at the campsite only to see a “Sorry we’re full” sign.  Oh great.  This is a site you can’t pre-book for.  So that’s out for the weekend at least.  Ah well there are loads of other sites around.  Next one was a short hop along the main road.  Oh that one’s full too.  Oh look here’s the place we saw in Feb that we thought about coming to – it appears to be full.

And so were the next 4 or 5 sites we tried.  And every hotel was full.  And every B&B. And every AirBnB.  Oh bloody hell!

And of course we’re in North Wales so there’s intermittent internet (at best).  R ended up calling her dad and he found us a campsite that could “squeeze us in”.  So after about 7 hours on the road (complete with stressy moments galore) we ended up near Betws y Coed, pitching our tent in the pouring rain, on a slope.  On a site apparently owned/run by a right barmpot.  Sigh.  And that was Satdy done – no time or energy for much else once that was done.

Sunday started wet and grotty but we headed into town and poked about a bit.  Discovered there was precious little we could buy J to eat (bloomin small town cafes) and met a lovely shopkeeper who remembered us every time we went in.

Then we headed to a waterfall to have a look.  The place had a car park and we drove despite it being only a few minutes walk (we didn’t really know it was that close tbh).  As I reversed into a parking space I noted the car next to us had a “I hate speedbumps” sticker on the back.  “Tool” I thought.

Then J, in his haste to get out the car, opened his door right into the side of this, it turned out, very well kept, nice BMW.  And the man was there and came over to tell us off.  Actually he spent most of the time telling us how nicely his car was kept.

Me – “So ok then how do we deal?

Him – “Look around the car there are no dents or scratches”.

Me – I understand that; how do you want me to deal?”

Him – “I make sure I keep it nice.”

Me – “Yes ok.  Do we swap insurance? Or what?”

Him – “I don’t know. I try my best to look after the car.”


Him – “I mean look around the car; there’s no other scratches.”

Me – “AAAAAAARRRRRRGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!!” [stabs him in the face with my car keys]

Eventually he understood enough to exchange details.  He’s hopefully going to get back to me with a realistic estimate for repair.  We’ll see.  No doubt he’ll send me a long text about how nice his car is instead.

Soured the mood rather a lot. Later in the evening me and R and N tried sitting outside for the evening but ended up being eaten alive so went to sit in the tent instead.  Plan to buy a BBQ tomorrow and have a fire!

The next day was better.  Me and N headed up Snowdon.  R took the wee ones to Caernarfon to the softplay place we went in Feb.  J later said he did the big red slide (that none of them would do last time) about 10 times.  Very proud of himself.

Me and N’s walk up the hill was quite a thing.  We got annoyed with teens playing music out their phones whilst walking up. Could they leave that sort of behaviour for bus journeys please?  But generally everyone was lovely.  We made it to the top and N was proper happy.  We sat in the cafe for a good 45-50 minutes and I ate a pie – a proper hot gravy-y pie.  Lovely.

As we left the cafe there was a about 12-13 year old girl and her mum having a spirited conversation about climbing the last few steps to the bollard wot marked the very top.  The young one was NOT happy.

Mum – “Come on it’s just there look.”

Girl – “I’m tired! I’m going inside.”

Mum – “But it’s just there look.”

Girl – “I don’t care I’m tired!”.

Excellent teen strop with only about 10 more steps to climb to complete the ascent.

And then down.  We’d organised with R for her to pick us up at 4.30 (after a 10am start) and we got back to the car park at 4.23.  So not a bad estimate.  The weather had been awful but any hotter would have made the day far harder.

When R came back she’d bought a BBQ and fuel so hopefully our evening would be far less buggy.  And lo it were.

Bit achy since but it’s easing well.

Tuesday was spent with the kids on the campsite, playing on the rope swing (annoyingly made too high by some teenagers) and sorting my stuff out for me to come home – leaving R and kids there ’til Friday.

And then I got the train.  Then stuck in Crewe (pron “KREE WEE”) for an hour then home to Derby just 2 minutes too late for me to get a bus home.  Didn’t fancy an hour’s wait so got a cab home.  And that was that.

Photos to come I hope (didn’t take many but did ask the rest to get some over the week)

Leave a Comment

This blog is protected by Dave\'s Spam Karma 2: 36253 Spams eaten and counting...