Made a Masa t’that

We had a date!  It’s been a while but we went out for a meal.  Yes just us two.

We went to a place called Masa.  It gets rave reviews and friends have recommended it.  Fair enough.

The place is a lovely old Wesleyan chapel and just to set the mood it started gently snowing as we walked up to it.  First impressions were favourable.  Nice place, warm, bit posh.

We got our drinks and sat down.  They brought canapes!  Very nice they were too.  The bar is downstairs but the restaurant is up on the chapel balconies.  We were led upstairs up what looked like the original stairs to the balcony.  Very nice indeed. Properly lovely venue.

We were then led to the highest point at the back of the building and offered a seat in a little cubicle with low walls (IE not closed off from the other diners).  The table fitted very snugly into the cubicle which left little room for wiggling myself round to get to the best seat.  Not very dignified but really not fussed as the venue is so interesting.

The food was next.  After the lovely canapes we had the tiniest cup of soup.  Was nice but R thought it a little bland.  Starters next: I had a guinea fowl and sausage terrine with accoutrements, R had the prawns.  Mine was smashing, really very nice; R thought hers was a little bland.  Mains next: I had slow cooked pork; R had guinea fowl.  Mine was good but not smashing; R thought hers was a little bland.

You may have spotted a theme here.  I have to agree with R that her food was bland.  It definitely did not live up to the swankiness of the venue (nor the cost of the food).  Ah well.  The head waiter guy did ask how we thought it was and R broke convention and actually told him.

After puddings, expensive and nothing special, we headed home.

Now I had to re-negotiate the awkward table/cubicle combination.  I was also now carrying the bottle of wine that we’d ordered but were far from finishing off.  Once out the cubicle; again a struggle not best dignified; I started to make my way down the stairs.  Dark brown stairs that weren’t terribly well lit.  I managed to slip down one step and flew forwards.  My ankle made a lovely crunch noise and then the rest of me made a thud as I hit the floor.  The wine bottle did NOT break! I saved it.  Unfortunately my ankle was not so lucky and it hurt a lot.  There was an immediate response from the staff who were very keen to see if I was ok.  After hobbling downstairs again I thought a sit down would be beneficial.  Then I started to feel sick and also desperately needed the loo.  R told me that I’d gone very pale.  Wasn’t fun.

I’d only had a half pint of lager and a smidgen of wine but it must have looked for all the world that a drunkard with a bottle of wine had fallen.  R still laughs when telling people about it.

Yesterday my ankle was twice the size of the unaffected one.  Hopefully nothing too bothersome in the long run but I expect to have some damage to one of the ankle ligaments at best.  Having said that since starting this post I’ve managed to walk quite a way with less and less pain.  Should be painless pretty soon.  I’ll have to check the ligaments in a while tho.

Good job I’m not litigious.

Leave a Comment

This blog is protected by Dave\'s Spam Karma 2: 36253 Spams eaten and counting...